Friday, February 19, 2010

Sense and Sensibility

Growing up as children we unconsciously take in the sounds and smells of our surroundings and form memories with them. It is truly amazing how sounds of inanimate objects can remind one of their childhoods. The lazy sunny afternoons when winter is forgiving and a light shawl is all one needs, when the sun doesn’t hurt the eye, when the air is neither chilly nor warm, just crisp enough, it is times like these when my heart skips a beat and I am overcome with a sense of panic. One would wonder why a balmy afternoon would send shivers down a grown woman’s back. It is because the end of fatal February and the march of March announce the arrival of the final examinations! It is the time for average students like me to take stock of matters and go into an overdrive. Nervous preparations, long telephone conversations, endless pots of tea and the quintessential oiling of the hair are the high points of the day. With the standard rituals complete, there is nothing more to do than to take one’s books and find a quiet corner on the terrace. What is foolishly funny is that to date the change of season brings with it a slight flutter to my heart. A delayed sense of fear. A longing for a hot a hot cup of tea!

Then there’s the sound of hymns from the distant temple that fill the twilight sky. The cassette playing beautiful, melancholic, unintelligible songs which sound from a different era altogether reminds me of my childhood when, as kids, we were served oily and fried snacks in the evenings, so full of fat, so full of love!

The sound of children screaming has the power to transport me to the nearby field 20 years ago. Screams when someone hits a boundary, screams when somebody gets out. These screams carry the voice of my brother in them. I, a lone figure standing atop the balcony shouting in support of family, shouting to be heard, to be acknowledged.

The vendors and hawkers in the by-lanes still remind of simpler times when buying a 2 rupee ice-cream seemed like an indomitable task. Whether it was peanuts or popcorns, the price always bordered between one and two. Now with my fist full of pennies I feel no need for them. So I give them to my daughter who still values them and makes an imaginary shopping list.

When such small and inconsequential things hold such deep memories for me, I am forced to think what will trigger off these feelings in my daughter? The sound of drilling, the sound of hammering? If these may be, then will they remind her of a pleasant childhood? Will the churning of the cement machine churn her stomach too? Will the screams of kids remind her of her friends or the longing for a sibling? Will she ever feel any affinity towards the hawkers and vendors or is the screaming construction workers she relates to?

Asking these questions now are as futile as asking who she grows up to be? But there is a blurry picture in my mind which shows me how she’ll be, and I want a blurry picture of how she thought her childhood to be.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

ooooh wow wow!!! longing for change at 4am in the morning!!!
i know wat will bring back childhood memories for ur daughter....the sound of dora, shin shan, pokemon etc etc etc :P

on a more serious note....i agree wid u even though i belong to the newer times n ice creams costed 5 bloody bucks!!! n screaming only reminds me of our neighbours...but end of feb does bring those scary memories back!!!

so all in all wat i'm tryin to say is...GOOD JOB! ;) thumbs up!!

ankita said...

The drama queen sobers up. You know like Deepika, you have this knack of talking about things which haunt all of us and putting it down in a way that is heartwarming, not corny (the possibility of the latter preventing the rest of us from penning such things). I am sure you felt as happy getting back here as your readers.

On a different note, I have my own axe to grind and am wondering if Tona-Toni will be remembered, giving me an excuse to jostle with others in her memories.

Deepika said...

Lovely. Have you bought icecreams off the Golden icecream cart in Patna during school days? No Ben and Jerry's or B andR takes away the memories of the orange ice or butterscotch from Golden. :-D

Sapna said...

Your blog made me think and this is a thought i have had popping in my mind several times, specially after nika was born, and i can do nothing but agree with you. Wonder what our children will have to hold on to as memories?? Shopping, vehicles, traffic, bomb blasts, accidents, murders and kidnaps??!!! Life today has left no space for them to treasure memories of the beautiful farms, or a tree behing the house where one would go play or just sit around making silly chatter with their little friends....hmm....u make me think again Sai. Beautiful write up and i did not know this streak existed in you!!! Keep em coming gurl!

Unknown said...

simply brilliant sai! You're so right... Faint sunlight still gives me the jitters... Reminding me of all that u mentioned... Do u remember the finals we prepared for together? With meenu chi writing essays for us while we'd memorize them... Take off 5 mins to quickly play ABCD, which wud invariably end with rabia howling... Remember the yes boss songs we'd listen to, while in bed after a long day's work? It was good fun. Miss those days!!

Unknown said...

oooh don't forget the "colour man" game and advertisement!! ;)

Ankita said...

Knock, knock, again. You can write sequels to this one, now that Pozo has entered the 'institution'.